SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Friday, April 15, 2005

Taxes? Schmaxes. Right.

I finished my city income taxes at around 10:38 today.
Not without much violent cursing, regrettably.
Now that it's over, I can be sightly amused at my pathetic behavior.

After all, I was sitting in my partner's office while filing.
I'm sure the staff was entertained.

Our city taxes are at: 1.6! 1.6! What's yours?
And I have to pay at the U's City as well.
Our state taxes--I can't--even--compose a strong enough metaphor . . . all social services cut, income and sells taxes raised--are we at war or something???
Our federal taxes: we "slipped between the cracks" this year over, like, 300.00 or something. Maybe I should have some kids? 3-4? Does it matter after 2?

News for today:
By MARY DALRYMPLE, AP Tax Writer

People scurrying to meet tonight's tax deadline might consider this: It's taking you and your fellow Americans 6.6 billion hours to do all that paperwork. The basic tax return — the Form 1040 filed by most people every year — accounts for 1.6 billion hours.

The Internal Revenue Service furnished those statistics to the White House budget office, which keeps tabs on the government's bureaucratic demands. The budget office notes that tax work "towers over the entire paperwork burden for the rest of the federal government" and accounts for some 80 percent.

"If anything, those numbers are probably understated," said David Keating, president of the National Taxpayers Union, which reports annually on the increasing complexity and demands of tax returns.

"A lot more of the cost is just planning to do the tax-smart thing. That can actually take a lot more time than reporting what you've done," he said.

Tax returns must be postmarked by midnight tonight [or the IRA claims your balls].

We could build a better government in that time.

3 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much money would be saved, do you think, if they didn't have to process refunds? I mean, what if they stopped taking my money all year and, at the end of the year, if I owed them money, I could send it then. And if I didn't, I wouldn't have to fill out paperwork and they wouldn't have to process it just to send me back the money that *could have been earning intrest in a bank account all f*cking year, you bastards!*

I'm officially bitter. I could have made $10 in interest. That would keep me in Coke for a week.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger thekatster said...

taxes, well somehow this year I was bumped from the 15% to the 8% bracket. So I'm actually NOT paying this year - imagine this. Wow, and I'm not on welfare, yet. I'm very excited about this.

thanks for reading part of my blog. I grew up near Bethesda. My father was in the Operating Room with Reagan the day he was shot. He was a navy officer, CRNA. anywhoozit - gotta love the 'next blog' button ;)

smooches,
kat

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Rainypete said...

Imagine if they could streamline the whole mess to one page. They could cut costs and therefore income taxes to the point of supercheap and use monkeys with stamps to process the returns. Actually I think they already do the monkey thing. never mind

 

Post a Comment

<< Home