SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

More on _Swan_

This dreadful little novel
was given to me by a dear acquaintance--
a scholar really. She is well-read,
well-traveled, even presented papers
on TS Elliot somewhere in England.
She's led a privelged life
and is only about 24-26.

This woman is also quite fashionable,
lovely and energetic. Prim, some would suggest.
Definately admirable.

So when she gave me Carol Shield's _Swan_
and I read the first 20 pages, I was enchanted.

The entire book is about a feminist scholar
who "discovers" an ambigious poet and attempts
to unravel a curious mystery (above all
which seems, to this reader, to be whether or not
the poet is actually good, or if the desire
to publish and romanticize the self creates this poet).

A fun read.

But I am bothered by the implicit ideology
of academic life as expressed in the descriptions
of the novel. Life for these academics
is too externally ordered and, well, "perfect."
Cobblestone villas, wine, fabulous silks,
unattached youth,
eccentric characters who juggle with millions . . .

One passage in particular stabs:

"Often, even here in California, homeland of long-legged American beauties, he sees extraordinary unattractive women--sallow or bent or overweight or in some way deformed--riding on buses or dragging through department stores. Their shopping bags and the children they tug along confirm without doubt that these women are married. Who would mary such women? Jimroy has asked himslf [. . .]"


This passage appears about 1/3
of the way through the book and is the first
glimps of external imperfection that the novel's voice sees.
Are the academic characters blind
to the ugliness and crisis of the "real" world
outside of their ivory towers?
Or is Carol Shields?

Or is my dear acquaintance
who offered the book & enjoyed it so much?

Can this be the novel's intent?
To raise such questions?

Hm. Or am I just plain bitter? Do I have to
put a "negative" spin
on all that I encounter?

4 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Tim P. said...

Elitism is such a dreadful temptation; and I think I may have an idea who your colleague is.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Yikes--did I finally give too much away?

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Tim P. said...

I'll keep my mouth shut; besides I could be dreadfully wrong -

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

I only read books where someone dies in it...murder is a big bonus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home