SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, January 17, 2005

But What Should I Wear?

I am seriously contemplating wearing jeans tomorrow.
I just don't feel well, perhaps emotionally,
and I have worn all of my "winter" dress clothes into weariness . . .

It's a pickle, because I firmly believe that teaching is all *performance* (more on that later if you are interested).
Not to get into too much of the theory, mainly b/c I haven't read much of it in a while, but I just want my attire to state that I am professional in my work environment.
Professional and serious.

It's also a way to code/signify the illusion of a mock heirarchy of power between my students and myself; if I dress well, they must accept my authority. Yyyyeeeet, on the otherhand, I always try to de-center my authority in order for my students to take themselves as scholars a bit more seriously (I should write more here, but why bore?)--

Clothing is such a visual code--inescapable really--that it does require some thought. If I wear black again, they may call in a therapist . . .

Why do I loathe shopping? (Oh yes, $$$ issues again, how dull.)

What identity to you try to perform/portray in your clothing? Why?

1 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

You are on to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home