SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Compromises

My writing group fell apart yesterday.
I must admit that I am so relieved--
even if my feelings were hurt a bit.

I'm so tired of having my credibility questioned
simply because I am not a total prick.
Example:

Yesterday a student approached me
with a question about his quiz.
He had written: "blah blah and that's what
helped make America the utopia it is."

I circled the word "utopia" and wrote "?!"
ie. WTF?

He just wanted to make sure I knew what the
word "utopia" meant.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I leaned way back in my chair,
stared him straight in the face
and slowly said:

"You did NOT just ask me if I knew
what utopia meant."

The LINE at Privilege University USA
has just been crossed.
Place your seats in the up right position.
That kid just failed this course.

3 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Tim P. said...

I'll give you five dollars if you say the following to your student:

Utopia is like zero: it’s a description of something that doesn’t exist. Coincidently zero is precisely what you’ll get, as it is a representation something else that doesn’t exist—your intellect.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Wow.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Lillee said...

Whoa. I'm not taking any of your classes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home