SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Friday, January 18, 2008

I See Blood

I try to be prepared for racism
on that campus, but everytime I feel ready
to stand they knock me back down.

Today?

I was working against the tide pretty well,
getting ready to cover "color-blind" racism
and "underground" attitudes
when some 18-year-old tiny voice in the back
decides to enlighten us all:

"Well, I work at the [new, local, affluent] mall,
and they are just destroying it--
ruining everything."

Yes, she meant blacks. Yes, she thought the entire
white, suburban class of 35 would agree with her.
Yes, she felt safe in saying that in front of me,
her "white" teacher.

I let my jaw drop and simply stared around the room.

"I'm not racist or anything--it's just now that
they're coming in, the whole place is going to crap--what?
I'm not racist--I feel like the minority now"

"In her defense," another woman picks up the standard,
"I think she's talking about the shooting up there."

_Her_ defense? And my class says Audre Lorde is a racist
for saying white women don't understand the struggles
of black women.

I collapsed in a chair. 20 minutes left
of this 4 hour class and I'm exhausted.

Yesterday I tutored a bi-racial young man
who could barely write, but he wanted his essay to say:
I am studying psychology because I admire my mother
who traveled from Honduras to the [the bleak state] to seek out a better life.
Also, I understand the poverty and sorrow she experienced as a child
because I experienced my own challenges, being partially deaf
and consistantly made fun of all through [a local HS] school because of
my IEP and my ethnicity.

He grew up maybe 40 minutes away from the previous chic
mentioned above. I see how much pain whites inflict
on people of color; I see how opportunities are not all the same.

So, how much more can a young teacher take without
fantasizing violence?

If I had a daughter, perhaps she would console me; perhaps
she would point out all the white men in history who have begun
wars and killed hundreds of thousands without the notoriety
of the mall shooter, without their actions being attributed
to the color of their skin.

6 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

So many people are morons.

Reading your describing the young guy who's put up with so much who wants to write about his mother... Makes me realize more and more that I really have nothing important to say - nothing bad has really ever happened to me - so all my writing is just fluff/empty calories.

The sad thing is, you probably teach a lot more people like the moron girl than the worthy guy.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Your writing is certainly not fluff--I can't stomach fluff. You are a very witty, sensitive guy who has lots to say--another reason I've been reading you since, wow, like '05.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calling people who don't understand something morons is real progressive. You guys are so self righteous. You think it's unreasonable to be angry about people fucking up your new mall? Why don't you stop acting so burdened by your enlightenment about race, and you might stand a chance of changing something instead of just shaming people for their ignorance.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

golly.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

LOL, emma wants to play!

Here's the converstation "behind the scenes" you missed:


MC: We don't actually have to explain why racist=moron, do we?

SQ: Nope. But I’m using “moron” and “idiot” more in my vocabulary than I ever thought I would.
I always thought those terms were so elitist and mean in themselves, ironically. So, I always wanted to be complex enough to view all people with some sort of reflexivity—but, now, I understand those terms to mean reactionary individuals that choose not to question their own impulses . . .
Having said that, muttering “moron” [among other explicatives] between clenched teeth and squinting eyes may also be reactionary—but in a completely justifiable way, right?? 

BTW--Went to the mall this weekend to check it out--sparkly, shiny, happy people, black, brown, white, etc. Not fucked up at all.

"Enlightened"? Not lumping all people together in stale stereotypes--Aren't most 3rd graders supposed to be taught this enlightenment now-a-days? "Progressive"? Caring more about the quality of a mall than conditions for an entire people is?

Hope you come back really soon emma, cause I'm not your mama or your pc teacher on here--i'd like a good scrap too.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

ps. you are not a moron emma.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home