SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Are Most Bloggers Exhausted?

Teaching 3 college courses in one day is no small feat--I need to recognize that or face the threat of insanity.

Last night, by the time I made it to my ENG152 class, I was, well, pretty fried. I broke the group into small groups in order to hash/slash our way through a really tough essay on Eurocentricism. I've noticed that I am stuttering/slurring in my speech occasionally in this last class of the day (I rarely eat lunch or dinner on these days--can we say protein?).

Last night, before I knew it, one student came up to my desk and asked me how to pronounce "synecologically" and to explain what it meant. I have a weird complex/acute awareness with/of my speech capabilities as it is, and at 6:30pm with a foggy-fried brain, I'll let you imagine the awkwardness.

But the one thing I have learned as an English teacher at a mid-sized U is to speak with utter confidence no matter what the circumstance. Forget about "correctness." Once again, I think I "passed."

2 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

It's all about confidence!! "Fake it till you make it!"

Reply with something plausible, and when they go away, look up the real answer.

Then if they come back and say, "Hey, you were wrong!", you can say "No no, I meant x y. You must have misunderstood me."

I have a real issue with not knowing an answer, or being wrong. It enrages me at a fundamental level. So I try to avoid subjects where I have no knowledge.

And there are many many subjects on which I know nothing...

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger kazumi said...

Oh no, not 'fake it 'til you make it'!

I've never known anyone to endure something they're over or dislike to the point of happiness. Sure I know using this idea you're suppose to trick your own brain into making your body feel better, but I find you generally fake it 'til you make it home to a good stiff drink! :)

Hope you endured your day...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home