SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Whata Weekend Willy Man

I bought a coconut bird this weekend.
It's a chime, let's call it an Eegret,
even though I deperately want to call it an Ibis of some sorts.
The long neck and pointed head are both suspended above the body
of the coconut
by a string/wire and stone in the back.
The chimes are of wood and ring a nice hollow sound.

I hung it from the ceiling by a hook
in the corner of the living room.
I dare say it will never truely chime on it's own.
It might take a broom handle for me to reach it.

Yet, what is so very bothersome about the whole coconut bird affair
is the assuming nature of the young cheeky chashier:

"Did you find everything you needed?" He scanned the scone mix before the bird.
When he did pick up the large contraption, one eyebrow arched.

"Why yes I did." I cooly replied. Eyes slanted. "Especially this bird.
It's rather nice; wouldn't you agree?"

He looked for the barcode to scan and tried to stiffle a grin.
"I imagine it will be great this time of year."

"I find it wonderful--the things they can make from--coconuts."
I was staring at him full in the face.

He fixed his gaze upon the cash registrar.
"Sure will be nice to hang chimes from, er,
your bedroom window soon, I suppose."

My own eyebrows furrowed with [mock] indignation.
"Well it certainly isn't for me!" I exclaimed.
"What would I ever do with a coconut bird!
It isn't my bird, you know." I was much chagrined.
I pretended to look steadily away.

Why would anyone make such assumptions about my person?
I am considering making SQMojo business cards
to hand out on such awkward occasions.

3 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other day I was walking down the street, and you will not believe it but I thought I saw Pauly Shore. Swear to God, Pauly Shore! What ever happened to that guy?

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am never telling you about the time I worked at Lowes and a lady decided to buy these glass butterfly tiles for her garden. Never. You won't speak to me if I do.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger sumo said...

They are all cheeky monkeys without class or they wouldn't say such obviously obtrusive completely "not" necessary comments to the purchaser of said goods. Eye of the beholder! When that happens they should automatically burst into flames and just be a pile of dust! I certainly don't want to chitty chat with the register people, they are not my friend...but I wouldn't be rude either. You can tell I don't like to get out much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home