SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Thursday, April 07, 2005

"Just Consider What I've Said When Planning Classes"

Student:

I know that no one else in class is probably going to speak, and since I'm use to taking on this responsibility, I'll go ahead and do this. I do not want this to be taken the wrong way, but it's very difficult for me to stay focused during a lecture that is occurring when the time allotted for class has run out. Tonight, I was sitting next to one student who mentioned that she has a one hour drive home, and she seemed pretty annoyed that we have been kept late every night since classes started. I for one, have an endless list of things I have to accomplish before I fall asleep at night, and when things start late, I'm in a panic the entire time I'm home. I didn't know if by saying anything it might get you to consider not holding us late. I really enjoy this class, and I want to continue enjoying it, but I find it hard to enjoy something that has yet to not cause me extreme stress the rest of my evening. The fact that this is my last quarter, and I have a severe case of senioritis, doesn't help me much either.

I hope this doesn't upset you. I think you are a great professor, and I do enjoy your class, because you allow discussion. I'm hoping this will be a good discussion, and you just consider what I've said when planning classes. I'm mostly speaking for me, but I know for a fact that other students have the same feelings as I do. I just prefer to not let things snowball into bigger issues than they have to.


SQ:

Thanks for bringing your concerns to my attention, although, please allow me to assure you, that such visible frustration has not gone unnoticed. Yet, this frustration is mutual. I had 9:20pm on my watch and announced as much in class tonight when we moved from small groups back to large group. In response, many people began packing up. Not only is this shuffling distracting and rude, but it also eats up even more of those last few minutes when I am clarifing the assignment. Immediately after I dismissed class tonight, I took time on my watch--9:31:25.

Is the one minute and twenty-five seconds delaying the evening? Or could my watch be set differently than clocks in LU hall? In case of the latter, someone could have simply informed me when I announced that I had ten more minutes.

If you and the others you mention would like to discuss this further, I would be happy to meet during office hours, which, ironically, are held after class.

Best,
SQ


Dearest Blogger Friends--that last bit was kindof funny, 'eh?

5 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

You tell them. Ungrateful students. Sheesh..

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Excellent reply!

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it!
blue2go

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

Yet another reason I no longer teach...

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has the class run over every night since classes started as the student stated? I think both the students and the profs need to adhere to schedules.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home