SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, August 01, 2005

Nah--I'm Not a Harvard Grad, But can You Believe This??

MICHAEL KUNZELMAN, Associated Press Writer
[For Full Story: Link to 'Protest']

BOSTON - A member of Harvard's top governing board who resigned recently was upset about a proposed raise for the university's president, according to a copy of his resignation letter released Monday by the school.

In the letter, Harper said his concerns "came to a head" when the Harvard Corporation decided last month to give Summers a 3 percent raise to about $580,000. Summers earned about $563,000 in salary during the 2005 fiscal year.

"Despite your apologies and your creation of important task forces, I could not and cannot support a raise in your salary," Harper wrote. "I believe that Harvard's best interests require your resignation."

Harper, who is black, was the only minority on the board. He was elected to the board five years ago and was on the search committee that selected Summers in 2001.

A 1965 graduate of Harvard Law School, Harper is a partner at the New York law firm Simpson Thacher & Bartlett.



On a side Note:
Can you believe I haven't
been LetterBoxing yet this summer ?!?

3 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To continue my trend of nothing academic, I respond to the letter-boxing comment :)

I can't believe you haven't been yet this summer! I thought about you when I was at Mt. Rushmore yesterday--that I wish I could somehow put a box up on top of Washington's head. They were cleaning it this summer (just finished), I should have asked one of them to put a letter box on top for me....

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger sumo said...

The story really peaked my interest...but the link didn't work for me...it's probably my fault, the pc has been giving me trouble.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Phil said...

LINK to article.

"Harvard Corporation member Conrad K. Harper also cited his dissatisfaction with President Lawrence H. Summers' leadership, including his controversial comments about women's aptitude for science and math.

At a conference in January, Summers said that differences in men's and women's abilities may partly explain why fewer women are in line for top science jobs. He apologized, and committed Harvard to spend $50 million on gender equity programs recommended by two task forces he appointed."

What a dope!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home