SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Friday, October 28, 2005

ReMix

I said so many stupid things today.

I can't keep up.

I reread my last post and winced so badly
at the spelling errors that
I am considering
rechecking my post before I, uh, post.

Naaa.

A girl can only do so much.
ANd since this blog has no professional ties--
who cares?
All of you know/think I'm whacked anyway.

I have a plastic bat ring on my pinky.

Hallowwen holds many unnerving memories for me--
but this year, I feel over them:



Waking up on the morning he left
with swollen eyes,
my bare feet cold on the hallway linoleum,
I opened the front door
to the sun rising on my right,
piercing through the turning leaves
of oaks on Mirabeau Street. The newly paved black asphalt
accentuated the cut edge of every leaf's angle

and globs of orange pumpkin guts,
broken shells up and down both sides
of the block. Jack's with busted grins
smeared and heaped in piles
so thick--I could never understand.

The orange was beautiful though. Fresh.
Untouched though the night.
White seeds glinting from sticky jucies.

That was the first year
we went all out and bought
the biggest pumpkin we could find.
Too perfect to carve, to pierce,
but inevidably ending in the middle of a street
in a pile of perfect splats. Undistinguished.

The following fall I kept my pumpkin inside--
sitting in the corner of the atrium.
I ignored it for weeks. For months.
Finally, when I noticed the gnats,
I took a grimy dustpan and threw it out back
into the trash. Its teeth and mouth past sucken in.

And so. The turning years bring pound after pound
of perfect pumpkin flesh now, bought and purchased in the sun.
I run my hands over waxy rinds and smile.
I smile. Smile. Smile.

6 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Now I'm hungry for pumpkin pie, thank you very much.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Lillee said...

Yup. Squirrley is one sick puppy. Don't let her put candy in your kid's bag......

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Ha. Someone smashed the pumpkins on the street.
Kids are always doing such funny stuff..

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Etcher--funny you should say that, considering the implication . . .

Lillee--actually, I've decided not to pass out poison treats this year.

Happy--glad to see you understood that part of the image. The morning I saw it was the first such prank I had experienced; at the time, I felt it was very cruel.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Typos drive me nuts when I discover them after the fact. I try so hard, but they sometimes creep in.

You, sick? Nahhh.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger sumo said...

Hi squirrles...here to wish you a Happy Halloween!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home