SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Anonymous Revealed

The Faun and I have a few dreadful
secrets in common:

not that I'm in service to the White Witch
or anything too obviously as disagreeable as that,

but I'm simply not the Squirrel all of you
supposed me to be.

It's true.

I've stored practically no parcels or packages for
Christmas.

When it comes to gift giving, I have absolutely
no Mojo at all. Zip on ideas.

See, I panic. I think, "Oh. How nice. A mat
in the shape of pretzel for my MIL; she loves
the chocolate kind." After years
of seeing THAT LOOK on friends' and families'
kind, holiday faces after they open my gift . . .
well, I simply can't bare another round of it.

How much spiked eggnog can a Squirrel's BMI tolerate?
Swig.

THAT LOOK, you ask? Well, it's hard to describe.
The first few couple years of adulthood beheld
many of merry cheers with soft candle light in the background.
A laugh. A toast. And on with the festivities.

But then, a change in tempo. A look of puzzlement.
A forced grin, cocked head,
followed by a quick shuffle of tissue paper.
"Anyone want more cheese from the kitchen?"

Each year the gift-giving ceremony feels,
to my way of feeling, more contrived, more strained.
Is it my imagination, or did she
leave my gift until last, lock her jaw when opening it?
Knock over the glass to distract herself
from facing the gold-ribboned contents? (Who
doesn't love the smell of gasoline in a wax candle?
Wrapped in wool socks?)
She mentioned the aroma once . . .

Me? I continue to receive dazzling gifts--
hand-etched wine glasses and tickets to the theater,
baubbles of stained glass and pieces of gems--
fully printed blogs of a year's work--

but what do I give? Gifts that make people cringe
and lie through their clinched teeth (swear
to my MIL in the hallway where they think I can't hear).

Next year: no more original gifts.
I'm asking for lists and sticking strictly to them.
This year? Well, I'm never alone on Christmas Eve,
shopping in shops full of strange men.

4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Gift cards. Not very original, but they work for me.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Use the lists, Squirrley, the lists..

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I hear you. I feel you. I have severe gift giving anxiety, and often get lost in the pendantic, sweating blood, wishing like hell we could all just agree to buy ourselves what we really want, and then have a party to celebrate our acquisitions together.

Best gift I ever received? A tail feather from a blue heron. That I cherish.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'm with Fred on this one...next year EVERYONE is getting gift cards. I am SO SICK AND TIRED of trying to figure out what people want and then end up getting them something they don't because they won't give me any hints.

Bah-friggin-humbug, dammit!

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home