SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Bit Sheepish

Aww. I meant that I was finished
teaching for the Spring Quarter.

However, I did turn down 3 departments for this Fall.
So, I won't be teaching again until September, and then *only*
2 classes.

Meanwhile, this summer, I have to work. Do I sound like a spoiled brat?
Teachers often do when it comes to summer work!
I will be co-director of the U's Writing Project
and coordinating the Writing Center at the regional.

Fact: No novel writing ahead any time soon for me . . . anyway,
I still have no characters or plots!
Never fear though, Morrison didn't get started until late in the game either.

No, instead, yes, I'll be applying back to grad school this Fall,
set to begin Fall 2009;
working toward it for 5 years I suppose (actually, I do believe
Fate will intervene and I will be saved from that ending--let's see).

ENergizing Vacation? You bet.
I just came back from a 6 day trip to the OuterBanks
where I spent time reading and thinking about Parker Palmer's
_The Courage to Teach_.
Our Summer Institute begins tomorrow,
and it is an intensive 4-week revival of sorts.

We (teachers of writing K-16+) will come together to read, write, research,
and share teaching strategies in attempt to address
the educational crisis we currently find ourselves in.

Palmer's ideas include building community, embracing paradoxes (eg. theory/action), and reconstructing a wholeness between our spiritual, emotional, and intellectual selves. All "touchy-feely"--just the way I like it! (Without the New Age Mysticism edge.)

Our director is a fabulous guru who is perfect for such an event; my job will be to "shadow" the program and be prepared to step in this Fall.

I think I'm ready!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home