SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, February 14, 2005

Even Fictional Films Teach Cultural Expectations

I have abducted a new noun/verb: annotation/annotating.

In the Film and Writing class I am currently teaching, I use the verb to describe the following process:

Annotation--the written practice of articulating the precise work of the camera's positioning and the frame's mise-en-scene during a single shot or brief sequence, used to speculate on the significance of each director's choice as related to key themes and elements found in the film.

A bit jarbled, I know. 9:33; one, thick cup of nasty-*ss joe down the pipes.

My students relish the concept that films/movies become a part of our "learned experiences."
Their narratives exploring which films have worked to establish cultural "norms" are exciting.
The pre-writing they do about their expectations of certain films is astonishing;
for example one student said she expected a "ghetto" film when viewing _Bamboozled_,
and another student expected a film about prostitution when _Run Lola Run_ was introduced.
Facinating.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger Monkey said...

Those expectations are hilarious!
I like your style - I like your blog - I have came, saw, and bookmarked you - now you've got a monkey on your back!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger swamp4me said...

Wow, that is an interesting range of films...from _Bamboozled_ to _Run Lola Run_. Of those two I'd rather write about Lola -- as long as my paper didn't have to be in German.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home