SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, February 27, 2005

I've Never Been Accused of Being Vain, But

I've always had great hair.
I mean, really.
Normally, "looks" just don't concern me.


So yesterday my hairdresser found 3, count them, 3 gray hairs.
Now I have on occasion seen a wirery white hair
springing to my attention in the mirror & I've simply
plucked it.

My hairdressor says No! One must cut them at the base.
She promptly addressed the matter for me, snip snip. Problem solved.
The visual problem of grayness, that is.
Not the actual problem of untimely ageing.

I complained: "This isn't fair! My mother isn't gray.
My hair color
should never go gray. Never."

She replied: "It isn't your mother. It's your father's side.
Your paternal grandmother."

I felt stunned; I felt as if I had just been diagnosed
with a horrible bone-marrow disease.

"My grandmother, Ione, was practically bald by 65." I wispered into the mirror.

I have found a fear worse than gray. Joy.
But I am still so in denial.
Simply way, WAY, too young.

AND I never found a blouce yesterday. My eyes were
asulted by pastels. Not ready to give up my winter black.
So when I wake up Tuesday
and have to get dressed for work~

I am visually falling apart.

5 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

I have a little gray -- nothing too drastic yet, just some streaks.

My first gray hairs were brought to my attention 2 years ago by my 6'3" son who, while resting his chin on the top of my head, said,"Hey Ma, you've got a little streak of gray up here." He's such a dear...

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

I asked about gray v. grey in a previous post and no one ever answered me . . . I refuse to spend 3 minutes of my life committing it to memory--

so, are you *for sure* it is "e"?
with you,triglyph, I can never tell . . .

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

According to Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, it's gray with grey being a "var of gray" -- so I guess you can go either way, no worries. :)

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Nayeli said...

Well, I've been going gre/ay for a while, and I like it, like triglyph does. I'm 34 and I have some on both my temples, but a full streak on my right temple. I only wish it was where my father and aunt had theirs, right at their widows peak. Then I could look sophisticated. My mother says I will only start worrying about going gre/ay when I'm actually getting old. I thought that process was well under way. It's all relative, I suppose.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm not sure that there aren't exceptions about whom we inherit our hair tendencies from. I had my own somewhat humourous take on this topic: Bad Hair Life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home