SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Day 18--Will It Never End?

The drama around here intensifies.

My partner's boss is so desperate to get in touch
with him that he has resorted to leaving phone
messages for me.

Which really pisses me off.

I don't know this jerk. WTF?
I don't think he really wants to talk to me . . .
I've fantasized too long on what I would say.


Last night, two sign language instructors
barged into my class with a huge dramatic ruse
in order to sign for a deaf woman
without going through all of the paper work.
[This is week 7 of our 10 week quarter; she has refused
all aid from the University. Until she received
her midterm grade last week, which was a 78. I
suspect she is not reading the material, but hey,
I could be wrong.]

The ruse these two women
contrived hurt my feelings, because, as all of you know,
I would certainly have no objections--so why the game?
I'll tell you why, these instructors act as if
this campus is their own personal playground;
they also, without asking permission, broke into
my lecture with a student from their class
(which meets at the same time a few doors down)
who is learning to sign in my class!

Fabulous, sure. Actually, I love it.
I have no problems.
Certainly the entire affair was disruptive.
And "asking" would have been great.
But I welcome this opportunity.
Yet, I suppose that b/c they are affiliated with this branch,
and I am the "outsider" from the main campus,
they feel a need to resort to schemes {I know I haven't
told you the details of the drama, but it's boring}?
To make it appear as if I didn't have choices
in my own classroom?
We instructors can be notoriously territorial.

Do I look dumb?

Cause people are treating me as if I am--
and that's a whole 'nother post baby.

I want this woman to learn sign--
I have no objections whatsoever.
I kindof wish I did,
so I could take my domestic frustrations
out on the public sphere . . .

But it was neat--
to "see" my language.
The signers actually stopped me 3-4 times
to specify a word. For example,
I use "dichotomy" alot.

Of course, given my personality,
I felt rather monitored.
But I was, well, great last night.
I really just wanted to slack off the next 4 weeks!
Well! I did!
I am so emotionally exhausted.
But now, with other instructors
coming and going,
I have to be on my game.
The signers said our topics were fascinating.
They are all women.

The main campus does not recognize Sign
as a foreign language.

I see so much to battle for--
I'd have to take crack
to keep up on all the activism.

1 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Blogger sumo said...

Yeah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home