SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A Friend of a Friend

A friend of a friend of a friend
(b/c how would I know?)
told me that nowadays
school pictures are taken twice:
once in the fall, the traditional way,
and once in the spring.

The school pictures taken in the spring
are by a more professional studio with forest-like
backgrounds, and the child can even bring in a small
toy or stuffed animal.

The studio takes these portraits, often w/o parental consent,
prints off the pictures in adorable sets
and sends home the packets with the child.

The parents look at the pic,
buy only the sheets they want,
and send any pictures they don't want back to the school,
through the child,
to be shredded. Shredded.

Yeah.

The friend of a friend of a friend?
Her little boy just started Kindergarten this year
and has a wee little incisor sticking out of his wee little grin
super-imposed against a magical forest of Neverland.

Shredded. Not everyone can afford XXX.XX at the drop of smile.
Another little girl in kindergarten,
the rumor goes,
lost her mother (a single mom at that) to diabetes this year . . .
I wonder if her picture will have to be shredded too . . .

3 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Lillee said...

Great post!
As for the post after this about signing.....
I would love to be able to sign....
I have a friend whose child is deaf. I saw her the other day at Wal Mart. My husband claims I got down on her level and tried to talk to her VERY LOUDLY. Soon after, he says to me..."You know, it doesn't matter how loud you talk, she's still not going to be able to hear you.".....What does he know?? Anyway, if I could pick an ability, it would be that.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I remember my son bringing home all those cool photos that we couldn't afford. It was heartbreaking to have to send most of them back to school with him. He pretended not to care, but I know he did.
blue2go

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That's just sad....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home