SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, May 30, 2005

In Memoriam

I'm a little queasy this weekend.
Bit weak in the knees.

While grading papers,
I came across a young man's essay
on how film has affected his world view--
he's in ROTC at the University:

"I watch [_Top Gun_] whenever I have more than
I believe I can handle, because in reality there is someone out there
who is worse off than me [. . .] I watch [_Black Hawk Down_]
because I get to see what I might some day do. Those soldiers die
fighting for eachother and that's all that matters . . ."


In "reality"?

Whenever I see this student, this kid in a man's body,
I just feel a mixture of deep sadness and helpless anger:
I see a fine looking, healthy "dead man walking."
Another youth who has bought into the military ideology
of glory without ever questioning it.
How many days left does this charming young man have
before encountering a suicide bomber
in a strange land?

Then I feel even more saddened and ashamed,
because I never want, or mean to take away
from what these men and women are clearly dying for,
all the ideals they do believe in . . .

"Supporting the troops," yet being opposed to war and violence
is a horrible balance to try to find and keep.
Recognizing that there are youths falling into larger systems of
rampant, unquestioned ideologies is just the first step . . .
too bad most people missed Michael Moore's better thesis
in his _9/11_:
the young people who are signing up and going over to fight
are those lower income youths who have little to no other
choices or futures . . .

A twenty year old's face and funeral headlines this area's papers:
he died when he threw his body as a shield
over a fellow , female, soldier.
Looking at the funeral, you could see the poverty of his family.
What films did he grow up watching?
Yet, he was incredibly brave and selfless both at the same time . . .

Whenever I try to deconstruct the ideologies
our media, government, and society throw
out before us,
I do find the some of the same values
these soldiers fight for;
honor, friendship, loyalty, ect.
But based on what?
Derived from/for what purpose?

Who ultimately benefits from the ideologies of _Black Hawk Down_?
Or _Top Gun_?
I fear that Josh won't.

8 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMHO, every generation breeds any number of Henry Fleming clones. It's sad and it isn't.

It's unlikely in this day of Technicolor gore and blood, be it from DreamWorks or CNN, that a person is far out of touch with the realities of true war.

Both sides have their zealots and patriots, and they're both a necessary part of the hostile human machine.

And more often than not, these guys come home from some far off god-forsaken land, having protected our way of life, and to too little thanks.

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is unfortunate that Technicolor and CNN have made people think they understand the realities of true war.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why it's usually the young men and women who are fighting.
blue2go

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the impression from the WW2 veterans who viewed and applauded 'Saving Private Ryan' for its realism that Hollywood is getting better at portraying the hellish state of war.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the mother of a soon-to-be 23-year old and soon-to-be 21-year old I live in mortal fear of a re-instated draft...

--s4m

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no doubt movies are getting more realistic. I am not surprised that those who have lived through war would identify with and be happy with movies that are more true to their experiences.

Movies cannot, to my mind, ever replace actual experience and war is one thing that I don't believe people really understand unless they have experienced it.

Sympathize, maybe. Empathize, maybe. But instil the deep psychological and emotional impact that comes from sitting in a trench and knowing you can't just turn the lights on in ninety minutes and this hell will go on... and on... and on? No. And without that psychological impact, I don't think movies really let people understand war.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

true dat, well said

 
At 3:03 AM, Blogger sumo said...

Well said...O Squirrely 1...I am conflicted the same way. And...the "draft" can be re-instated all it wants...my son will not be taken...if it takes my last dime he will go live somewhere else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home