SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

If I Had Twins

Six-year-old twins, I'm sure
they would begin at some point to
deliberate on who was first born,
or the "bigger brother,"
because I wouldn't tell them
until forced to--
by, let's say Kindergarten teachers
who think in those terms.

And it would be ironic, to be sure.
For I would be thinking about
Esau and Jacob,
and especially the birth-rite . . .
how I do not want to trade my own birth-rite
for immediate gratification . . .

Do we still have birth-rites in this culture?
Are they concrete or abstract?
What kinds of value do we continue
to place on sibling birth chronology?

2 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Lillee said...

I think we do, in a way. Of course the favorite kid, the one who worked hardest, the one that paid the most attention, etc. is the one that will recieve Grandma's
inheritance, but regardless, birth right is still respected.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? Birth order determines what you can get away with:

Oldest--everything. Parents don't expect you to do anything bad, so they aren't prepared when you do. You're paving the way for the rest of them, who can't be as bad as you no matter what they try.

Middle--nothing. Parents are shocked by older brother and practically chain you in a chastity belt and hang a tracking radar around your neck. It is assumed you will do evil if you're given freedom, because your brother did. As a result, you're perfect. Other kids think you're lame.

Youngest--everything. Parents have forgotten about oldest brother or the fact that middle daughter was only perfect because they never let her do anything (and older brother helped cover up the things she did do... that's what he's there for). Youngest brother can say "Mom, I'm going to a party where there's underage drinking and drugs, but I'm not driving and I won't do drugs" and the parents will hand him the car keys. Snot.

Or was that just my family?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home