SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Where I Come From

Where I come from,
a $1400 a month house payment
is outrageous.

That's, like, $16,800 a year--
some young person's yearly salary . . .

But I keep thinking about these two homes
we saw yesterday:

Home Simon Ct: Lovely back yard
with tree-lined property
at the end of a cul de sac.

Shady.

Nice deck for breakfasting in the summer . . .
crab apple tree and others.
Hot tub negotiable. Great place to entertain.
Wood floors (and nasty pink carpet that
would have to go). Fireplace. 3 stories. Spacious.
Bad windows.
On market for over a year--should be bargin worthy.

Home Bunting Ct: A mature willow tree.
Need I say more?
Yet, I will. A gazebo w/hot tub. Included.
Wonderful deck
and stone work. A cherry tree.
$2,ooo less than above.
Workable windows.
Neutral carpeting. No wood floors. :-(
Location--suburbs. Suburbs.
Basement not finished.
Did I mention Gazebo w/hot tub?
Fireplace. Spacious. Much better bathrooms.
Only 10 days on the market; Probably won't bargin.

The first $1400, no problem, but after that?
Over and over again? Year after year? A third of our
net on housing?


Yet, there seems to be no inbetween in this area;
either I live on the East side where my car radio
gets jerked for the 2x (seriously! 2 days ago) and
I can't even have a grill out on the patio,
or I pay out the *ss for a gazebo and hot tub.

This American life.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger kazumi said...

Wow. Where I come from that amount is a heavenly payment.

We paid $650/week rent in our last place and no, it wasn't smack bang in the middle of the harbour, just an average house in the burbs. We moved out when we came back from holiday and realised we'd spent $20,000 for just six months.

Suckers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home