SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Overwhelmed by Technology

For my newest hat my Sup bought me
a fabulous MACBOOK PRO.

I'm so intimidated. It has everything--
including 250 gb and every program out there
for both Macs and Windows (it can boot as either).

I can take it home or whatever--it's mine.
Where is it?
On my desk 55 miles away.


Meanwhile, the branch campus
just received a $350,000+ technology grant
that I could possibly tap into for my tutors
at the Writing Center--

but what would I even ask for?

I mean, there are probably over 80 PC stations
in the Learning Commons
with Windows 2007 and only 40% are ever used at any given time.

I don't know why I am so resistant to this
technology push in academia;
I just don't trust it.
I often feel as if "technology" is some Snoopy Band-aid
that admin tries to slap on folks when the scores are low.

I probably just don't get it.
I'm probably not "utilizing" (I hate that word) all that tech has to offer.
Publishing ops for students, in particular.

But seriously, what was/is wrong with the iBook G4 I have
sitting at my feet? What will we do with it now?

I have input on how to use a couple of budgets now,
but honestly, I don't know how to spend the money.

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Since the PC lab seems well stocked, can you turn the money into PC tutoring?

How about getting a few of those green crankable 3rd World bound laptops? Anyone planning to ship out for Peace Corps or Doctors w/out Borders will find some time practicing on them valuable, I'd bet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home