SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Curse the Wendy's Finger Woman: Part II

Ok, so I never thought that I would ever blog about the Wendy's Finger Woman. I never thought that restaurant grossness would/could happen to me. Yet, the more I think about it, perhaps my incident of grossness happened as a sort of chain reaction to the WFW . . .

The scoop: much like I described yesterday. We were sitting at the restaurant, I was regaling my partner with every detail of the interview w/the patriarch, when I was served my tortilla soup. When I unfolded my napkin, I, there was, I, well, I saw a green and yellow smear in the center. I stared. Showed it to my partner. Quickly folded it back up.

"Is that snot?"

Against my will, I called over the manager [which, later, as we discovered, was actually the owner]. What to do? What if he thought it was mine [the snot]? What if he thought I was the WFW looking for a free meal? I had to swallow, ehem, my pride and tell him--what if there were more such napkins in the back?

"Excuse me, but could you tell me what's in this napkin?" I passed the napkin quitely to him.
He unfolded it, looked, closed his eyes for a moment [in prayer or holding back a gag?], and said, "I'm not sure--"

"Is it snot?" I humbly asked. "I'm not trying to pull a Wendy's Finger Woman deal; I just thought you should know. Some kid in the back is probably pulling a prank."

He looked into my face and began apologizing to the nine, swearing this was the ultimate in disgust and that he would DNA swab the previous shift to find out who did this. We laughed. He did not. Then he sincerly thanked me for being such a swell, discrete guest. He offered us a free cookie.

I smiled and declined. I wanted the cookie, but couldn't let him think that was the goal of my revelation. Funny, the napkin never bothered me once (I was so high from my interview). The manager/owner checked on us 2 more times and was quite friendly. We saw a conclave of important-looking business types gather in the back. The tortilla soup was so yummy. When we asked for our check, naturally, it was on the house.

Which house? :-)

Well, I've thought about it & because he was so darn nice about the whole affair, I don't think I will disclose that info and bring down the whole chain. Let's just say it was a place *like* Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, or Max & Erma's.

I know, I know, this sounds like an urban legend. I also know that one cannot really trust any info from the Mojo site. But, gentle listener, just please, check your napkins--you might win the prize of the day and a free meal.

8 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh gross.

Makes me want to NEVER eat out again.

Ugh....

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No guacamole? No toenails? That's'not right.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You handled that well. It's always difficult to know how to relate well with the people who serve your food. They could do nasty things that you'd never know about.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

The last time something like this happened to me at a restaurant they offered me a coupon for a free meal.
I took the coupon but I never went back..

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm gonna puke...

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Ew! As a long time waitress, I must say that the yuckiest things you'll ever eat at a restaurant are things you will never, ever see.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger sumo said...

Oh Yikes! It just had to be the worst possible scenario of course...and be nose gobblins! I can take anything in this world EXCEPT gelatinous mucous fluid thingies...and snakes. And the random drool isn't so good either. You have my sympathies Ms. Mojo...you really do.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know how to make a napkin dance? Put a little boogie in it!

-s4m

 

Post a Comment

<< Home