SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Just How Much Can an Ego Take?

So, I show up at the Ground Breaking ceremony
for Habitat's Women's Build,
totally against my will after this horrid week
I've just had,
and I get totally snubbed!

Two gra/ey hairs whom I am introduced to
look me up and down, say "pleeeeased, I'm sure,"
and quite litterally turn their backs to me the entire time.
Physically blocking me from moving "inward" so to speak.

And you know what?
I firmly believe it is because I wore, gulp, jeans.
I mean, I knew there would be lots of suits,
perhaps getting out of church,
and I knew there would be lots of gra/ey hair.
But I also considered the "mission" of this building project
and the desire to contect with folks in that neighborhood . . .
plus, I've been over-dressing every where I go . . .
so I compromised, risking it for the first time,
and wore jeans with a nice blouce.

Jeans = snub-o-rama.

Yet, I wasn't the only person to wear jeans. In fact, one lovely speaker did as well. One older woman wore her volunteer t-shirt even. I mean, come on, this wasn't a ground breaking for a hospital or anything--Barely 25 people showed up!

I casually left after the last speaker;
no need to embarrass anyone on the way out.

3 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate that, judging by clothing. I like to wear casual and comfortable stuff. But I guess I'm judging their judging too!!!
blue2go

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

On the evening of my 10 yr class reunion, I had a flat tire on the interstate. I walked 3 miles for help, because my cell phone wasn't charged. Waited 2 hours for help and didn't feel like dressing for the occasion after all that. But went anyway to see old friends..and got snubbed because they wore black and I wore blue jeans and boots. Blah on them!!!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger sumo said...

Yeah...to heck with them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home