SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Little Things We Forget

I had an emergency errand I needed to run
first thing this morning:
so I leaped out of bed, in my nightie and bare feet,
out the back door and down to the end of our yard.

The cool dew on my bare feet was delicious.
How could I ever forget such a sensation?

I paused to look around at the fresh morning
and stood amazed at how the sun's rays slanted across the yard.

I always mean to take my morning coffee
on the back porch, but I seldom do . . .
instead I sit here and pound out email for the day,
or wring words for this blog.

Yet, when I came back inside,
this morning after my dip in the sun,
I had a real thirst
for _Hamlet_, Act III:


To StatCount, or not to StatCount,-- that is the question:--
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to count
The visitors and geekers of our glorious blogs,
Or to imagine wistfully about those who may pass by,
And by ignorance justify our writing?--To calculate,--to compute,--
Don't start; and by a computation to say we understand
The types and the thousand natural habits
Of those who surf the web,--'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To calculate,--to compute;--
To know! perchance to dream:--ay, there's the rub;
For in that knowing of calculation what visitors may come,
When we have stripped our blogs this lasting wonder,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes knowing the secretive so punative . . .

5 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

That's f*cking great!
I laughed.

You insinuate so well, I need to learn that skill.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

I held off getting a stat counter until recently. It sits on my blog doing its thing, but I seldom check it. Every once in a while I will pop in to see a breakdown of when people visit my little corner of the blogosphere, but mostly I just ignore it.

Regardless of the number on my counter, I consider myself to have only about ten readers -- that's a number I can handle. It starts to freak me out if I think more people than that read my blog ;)

Oh, and the assignments on the post just before this one...serious flashbacks and a case of hives. Give me all the physics, chemistry, or biology problem sets you want, but pleeeeaaasseee don't make me have to examine my thoughts and reactions to the works or perceptions of others -- I just can't do it, it's too hard. :P

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

Ok, so I had a similar moment the evening of July 4. My hubby, brother in law, nephews and I decided to go crawdad fishing in our back yard after a wonderful rain shower. The grass was wet, at 3 am it was so silent except for the sounds of frogs and crickets. At that moment, I loved the world and everything in it.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will would be proud :)

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gawd. What kind of question is that? of COURSE you stat count.

Love, The Geek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home