SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Volunteer Work: Not Getting Paid for the Same Old Office Politics

I forgot to mention that Habitat for Humanity (HH) called.
D left a message on the answering machine:

"This is D at HH and I think we have a newsletter to get out.
I know I made a mess with the last one [chuckle].
I will be on site with the build,
so this one is all yours.
Let me know when you can come in." I think there was more,
but this is what I remember.

Did I tell you what happened last time, dear reader?

I had the paper laid out, finished, complete.
I work in WORD, she works in OFFICE.
She's much much older & was uncomfortable with my "skills,"
(for example, she did not know how to use the Copy & Paste buttons--
the Copy and Paste buttons!!! in all fairness,
I couldn't remember how to use her ancient TYPEWRITER
to put fricken page numbers on the news letter).

Blah blah. Having trouble communicating this tale--(hm, why?).

Where was I?

So, I had the paper laid out and told her it was finished.
Call me if you need anything.
3-5 days went by and I did not get my fricken news letter.
It was beyond late.
WTF?
So, I emailed her: "What's up? Need help? Let me know--"

She never replied to my email.
Never.
Not at all.
10-14 days later, I get the news letter & it has a bunch of crap
added in.
She must have been tortured.
Did she retype it all into OFFICE?

That was at the end of May.
And now this call.
I told her (last week) that I could come in Tuesday--
and I haven't heard back from her. AGAIN.

What's worse?
The Women's Build is about to begin
& I haven't recieved a call to help.

I've been told this chapter of HH is very clickish.
And I have no home Church from which to "click" from . . .
does that mean I am not of value??

Actually, I am ambivalent about the build:
on the one hand, can you imagine being a part of building a house?
a whole house?? women's solidarity at last!
on the other hand, who wants to build a house in, uh, _July_,
for two weeks straight?!

Could I just come and go as I please,
without being fully committed?

Wait--that's what I want out of HH.
That's what I thought volunteer work was.
Hmmmm. I guess that's a poor attitude. :-(

2 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

I can not imagine building a house in July.........maybe October, maybe April...not July. That would be my excuse.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did some volunteer work this year. You go into it with a positive attitude and things like the problems you just mentioned get you down after awhile. Still, you're doing a good thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home