SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Friday, July 01, 2005

The Howl of a Bee Sting

I imagine
that if I were a mother,
I could instantly recognize the cry
from a bee sting, no matter where I was at
in relation to the child at hand.

And for those of you who may not know,
a back yard bee sting in the arch of the foot
by a small honey bee is the worst.
The way the area swells up
makes walking awkward--like walking on a ball.
And the itching!

But of course, being stung by a hornet
or a wasp
is pretty bad too. A wasp can leave multiple stings.
A hornet can leave a deep, red punture wound.

I imagine my kids would be sorry the little critter
died in the act of stinging (in most cases),
but secretly, I'd want to squish the little bug.
The bee; not the kid.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Tim P. said...

Your post reminds me of a terrible event from my childhood.

I had had had the good fortune of having a can soda given to me at school. I was drinking it outside; during recess no doubt, which was what caused the problem. It's rather difficult to play kick ball and swig cola simultaneously. Naturally I wasn't going to toss the pop, so I set it down on the ground in a place unlikely to be disrupted by the kickball players.

Several minutes later I returned expecting sugary refreshment. Something had beaten me to the treat. As I drank deeply I was startled by an incredibly sharp burning sensation in my mouth. I instantly dropped the can and spit everything everywhere. A nefarious bee had found its way to the nectar and had stung me on the inside of my lip! Fortunately I didn't swallow the little bugger, but it was a close call. Oh, it hurt! And my lip swelled up like a balloon...

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats funny cause the same thng happen to me and it does not feel good

 

Post a Comment

<< Home