SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, July 04, 2005

Groan. Not ANOTHER Holiday

How patriotic is that?
I should be out singing:
Rah rah; America, F*ck yeah . . .

But really, how could I ever hope
to be a mother?

Holiday after holiday;
craft after craft. Relatives.
Relatives.

What would I cook, year after year?

Eventually, the cycle of holidays
would bust my brain.

Being a teacher the past couple of years,
I think I have forgotten the true meaning
of holidays:

A Paid Day Off from Work.

3 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger swamp4me said...

The beauty of it is, you can cook the same thing year after year -- that way it becomes family tradition.

I asked my kids if they wanted something different this year and got a resounding "NO!" My kids are very open-minded about most things, but holiday foods is not one of them. (Keep in mind, however, that in my house we don't necessarily eat "traditional" traditional foods.)

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Lillee said...

Oh my. Hamburgers, hot dogs, and watermelon. That's what you eat on Fourth of July. What kind of American are ya???? Just kidding. Have a great holiday.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

My family never did much on holidays, beyond sleep in.

We'd go watch fireworks, but that's about it.

And that's what I do, now. I'd like to think I'll create some traditions for my kids to enjoy, even if it's just a BBQ and some games.

But I probably won't.

Paid days off from work are sweet! When I worked for the Coast Guard, we got every silly holiday off with pay. Like Flag Day, for instance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home