SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Monsoon II

I really don't know how to put this,
but after the bizzare lunch,
I never expected my father to walk around
to the back of the house and catch me in my two-piece,
sunbathing.

I was put out.
I simply wanted to collapse & rethink what in the h*ll
I was doing with this part time work, my Habitat efforts,
and how to arrange preparing for my Fall classes.

He had my sister's two daughters with him, ages 5 and 2,
and I suspect he came here
because he simply didn't know what to do with them.

My sister, age 26 this fall, has just had another female child,
age 29 hours--HOURS.
The baby is beautiful, healthy, and strong.
I plan to see her/them again this evening.
[Can a sibling ever "rescue" another?]

I just couldn't imagine entertaining my recently
estranged father, by myself, for the next 5 hours--
while chasing after the 2 year old.

Plus, not to be overtly superficial, but
my fading tan needs serious attention.

Already, I have began the process of blocking most
of what he had to say . . .
but he did speak of the fateful events of ten years ago:

"yadda yadda -- when you see a snake,
you want to warn your children. But they won't listen.
And they just get bit."

Did he mean the pregnancy??!? Of course he must have.

After a few moments of silence,
I looked away and retorted cooly:
"Yes, you can't always protect your children.
They must learn these lessons in life for themselves.
All you can do is wait beside them
with the first aid kit."

That should give Mr. Metaphor something to soak on.

2 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger dot said...

First aide kits were never used in our family. Blinders were always the instrument of choice.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

When my father and I are alone, I never have a clue what to say to him. It's almost like I am six years old again, and looking down at my toes in shame.

Pregnancy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home