SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Saturday, July 16, 2005

A Squirrely Kindof Tim at That

Tim, Tim, Tim you are simply to squirrely
to live in Columbus, Ohio. I've heard
it's a mysterious transitional space
where writers can be either sucked into oblivion
or rebound into stardom . . .
When do you get out?

Sigh. Grr, grr. I'm not the squirrle you all hoped
I might be.
I sit here, right now, in this cool space typing
because at the build site it is HOT, sweaty/smelly,
and somewhat dangerous--at least to my bored brain.

When people pick up the nail gun, look down the shooter
and say, "Now why ain't this thing working?" I believe
the situation has turned dangerous. Most of the folks
have been there all week and they are tired, crabby,
and a bit clumsy too =Dangerous. They throw hammers,
hang out windows, half-ass electrical wiring,
eat without washing their hands.
It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Plus, I'm sore. Cinder blocks get heavier
as you move each one. The first couple are light
no problem;
the last few make me tremble.
Wrapping the house & windows was great.
I know what those litttle orange dots are for now,
and I can slice through that stuff with a 4" blade
all too naturally . . .


Reading Joyce, Tim, I think I have finally pinned down
perhaps the single most problem I have with writing:

I am not in love with words.

I am in love with a particular version of myself
that I have created when it comes to voice on page,
and I am in love with ideas,
but I carry no great love for the language itself . . .
letting the letters roll off my tongue with deep relish--
hearing the echo of vowels against my throat, chest, and cheeks . . .
nope. Not for me. Letters are a burden I'd rather lay down
and telepathically communicate emotions & concepts . . .

therefore, I am doomed as a writer:
I have no story--I have no language--just doom.

4 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Lillee said...

It's time to break out the prozac, sister.

Just think of how proud you will be of that house when it's done. It's like giving birth, it's literally a pain in the arse, but, the results are wonderful.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.

No? Still not in love with words? Sigh. I'm in love enough for both of us. Just wait until I find a way to legally marry a dictionary...

(And salsa will cure soreness. At least a certain kind of salsa. It's glorrrrious. The marriage with the dictionary would never work out; I don't think I could keep myself from having an affair with the salsa.)

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D*amn fruits stealing my prologue without crediting me...

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Tim P. said...

dare I presume?

Achoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home