SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Woo-woo!
Now these students can look up SQUIRRLEYMOJO on line during class. What a neat idea.

At least, that was my experience at the branch this spring.
One student, during break,
admitted that she sat in the back
and played solitaire while I lectured.

I'm debating on ruling out laptops
in class this Fall.

But the truth is--I really, gasp, don't care.
This is a University.
These are adults (kindof--well, ok, legally).
If they want to spend $$$ to play solitaire, go to it.

Sigh. But I must pretend to care. Right?
Pretend to be shocked & horrified.
Be Robin Williams in _Dead Poet Society_, or what ever.
Stand on my desk and captivate the privilleged
into being throughly entertained while learning.
Tap dance if need be.

Teaching is performance. Am I ready for the second Act?

11 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Maybe they will blog about your class. That could be interesting...

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger dot said...

That would be interesting, Phil.

Laptops in class are a great idea. However, I've never understood why schools use Apple computers, when the rest of the world uses other pc's.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

I actually did climb up on my desk while delivering a lecture in physics one day -- wish you could have seen the faces of my students. It really scared them when I jumped off :)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

Wow. Giving middle school kids laptops seems crazy. When I was in college (TEN YEARS AGO)I first heard about email in a speech class. I turned to the person next to me and said "What's email??" Now my kid has to have a laptop to go to college with. Amazing.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Tim P. said...

this and that about tech making teaching and learning better...Not in the humanities. The more my profs used powerpoint and comps, the more I disliked their classes and communication. Luddites Unite!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

You should ask how many of them blog...

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog! Enjoyed it!

I have a HIPPA Privacy Training site & blog. It pretty much covers HIPPA Privacy Training related stuff.

You're welcome to check it out if you have time :-)
Also, if you're interested in a shared/reciprocal link, feel free to click on the icon. It's pretty much an automated process.
Best wishes!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I've always wondered what it would be like to lecture and not have to worry what they're doing.

If they can play solitare and still get an "A", more power to 'em!

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Phil said...

I think Apple gives the schools the computers for free. Plus apple use plug and play technology where as Windows seems to use plug and pray.
There is also a company that gives free Apple computers along with electronic versions of their books so kids don't have to carry 50 pounds of book, it's all digital. Our company has some very cool versions of online books, that's part of what I do do (doo-doo?)

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mojo, You win.

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Avacado, the pics are beautiful.

Squirrley, I heard the story on NPR. It disturbed me. I won't go into, but give one reason why: reading off of laptop hurts one's eyes--I read off of a computer as my "job." Give me a book any day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home