SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Mixed Messages

Am I suppose to love my body
or not?


I just got off the phone with my doctor's office.

I have an appointment for my annual pap--
yes, one of THOSE posts, beware--
tomorrow morning at 8:45 (think of me).

Not that any woman looks forward to
gazing at the ceiling for those awkward 14 minutes,
even if they post pictures of Lisa Frank dolphins
dancing on the tiles,
but I have had especially bad experiences.

This is a new doctor, Dr. Paxil.
I chose her because she is a woman
and I thought we could relate professionally--
see my August post on how that went over.

I still "need" a pap & she's my fricken doctor--
so why not?
When I scheduled the appointment,
I suggested to the receptionist that I may start
my menses soon. "Call if you do."

I did.

Called:

"Hello. I have an appointment tomorrow
for my pap, but I started. Do I need to reschedule?"

"Yes, you can. Absolutely. I can get you in next week."

"But I need my BC to start on Sunday."

"Oh dear. Well, [younger woman] they can do it
while your on. It just makes me so uncomfortable . . ."

"Well, ok. I'll keep my appointment then."

"Let me check with the doctor . . ."

[Stupid music and advice on Cancer;
the voice drones on about "cutting-edge technology"
and I toy with the idea of calling
their marketing division and asking if that's honestly
the metaphor they want to use . . .]

"She said that it was really your choice.
But if you would like for her to call in
and refill your script for 30 days she could do that."

"I don't have a current script. I think I need
to keep the appointment. I feel comfortable,
good, about my body. I mean, do you think
she'd be ok with that?"

"Um. Yeah, sure. I'm sure she's seen a lot worse!"

I cough/gag, "ehem" into the phone.

"I mean, they're doctor's right?"

"Yes. I suppose. Good-bye."

What the h*ll!!

How can we women love our bodies
when even the f*cken female medical profession
treats us like CONTAMINATION?

The whole reproductive rights process
in this culture is so screwed up--
I can't even begin.
I just wish they'd all stay out of my cervix!

16 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just isn't right when a woman has to "wish" for control over her own cervix!

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU ARE SO RIGHT ANONYMOUS!


WASN'T THIS POST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN?

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's selfish of you to do that.

Doctors are people too.

Why do people think doctor's do mind seeing the disgusting?

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Excuse me PB:
What is disgusting?

Anonymous:
I guess I do have control . . . I can "choose" not to go tomorrow; I can "choose" another doctor; I can "choose" to never have sex again . . .

SS:
THXS. What a great handle.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It's your bushy tail, not your nuts.
And couldn't you put up a warning or something if you were going to talk about woman stuff, tee,hee..

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Thelonius said...

Well, it sure was interesting being let into your cervix for these few moments over my morning coffee and toast ; )

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Aiya--that irony
did escape me Euhem;

yet, at the same time,
why is the cervix so mysified?

No one wants to examine
my heart, lungs, liver, kidneys
for cancer EVERY FRICKEN YEAR.

[Sorry about the caps everyone--
just a bit STRESSED about tomorrow.]

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Hey Blue, 5 Lines Down:

"I have an appointment for my annual pap--
yes, one of THOSE posts, beware--"

Hello?

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pop out a few kids and trust me, you won't care!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

I have no frame of reference, but the whole situation sounds very not fun.

Setting watch for 5:45...

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

ewwwwwwwwwww MC.

Not literally . . .

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't be seriously thingking about doing that. Doesn't the blood mess up the test results?

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

Oh yeah... I was thinking it´s been two years since I`ve had one taken. Should call my school nurse...
Sometimes people wonder why I always ask for a woman... Pop out a few kids and you won´t care, they say. Maybe, but it´s still mine and me to decide...

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Phil said...

That's incredibly unprofessional of them, especially for women.

PB49.. nicename, it fits

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Dragonfly:

Yeah--what is your professional opinion? Should a woman be more "modest" with her doctor?

Phil:

How ironic--I know you've "seen worse" (worse doctors, that is).

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

With any kind of doctor...? They shouldn´t, but they are. A lot of things would be solved faster if patients weren´t ashamed of what´s wrong or what they´re going thru...

I personally have started to avoid this particular hospital when I have to see a doctor because I´ve worked all around the house and sometimes feel very uncomfortable about "some" people knowing my business. I know, they are all bound to professional secrecy like I am, but still there are people I just can´t trust. It´s sad, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home