SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Friday, December 16, 2005

The Glare of Holiday Lights Reflected on My Monitor

Our 6 1/2' Aspen is finally up
with 600 lights and 1,195 branch tips.
So I'm told.
Yes--it's artificial (I can't kill trees
unless I absolutely need to do so).

I have found an excellent essay on Morrison's
_Beloved_ concerning hysteria
that I can't wait to share with my WS200;
also, an interesting essay on the valoration
of literature using Chopin's _Awakening_.

One point I will be trying to make:
Instead of simply throwing out the feminine
construction of servitude as seen in romantic lit,
why not expand that to masculinity
and work to redefine the value of service?

It seems increasingly odd to me
that our American culture, as of lately (60s on),
continues to place such emphasis and value
on self-service and individualism--
surely this is destructive?

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

(Homer Simpson yummy sound here), Morrison.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Why would men want to expand anything other than their waistline.
I don't kill trees either. Except for food for my kids..

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger dot said...

Where can I read that essay about hysteria in Morrison's "Beloved"?

I wish that I had taken women's studies classes in college.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home