SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Writing Group

Two friends and I have started
a smallish writing group--finally.

Admittedly, I'm not enthusiastic about deadlines
and such.

Further, I'm worried about my tone.
This writing group will be corresponding via email,
and I certainly don't want to upset anyone
due to a miscommunication in tone . . .

For example,
I may write "Dork." on a blog
I may consider as a dear, intimate friend.

In reality, we are, well, actually strangers
and the blogger may not take kindly to name-calling--
or may not see the affection in "dork."

Sigh.

Further, my tone, I believe, is often considered
flippant.
Flippant.
Me? Just because I see most of our culture's sense
of politeness as a type of game,
and I wish to invent new pieces to play with,
doesn't mean I am not sincere or professional . . .

I think.

I was bent on posting something else this morning,
but it has slipped my mind.
At any rate,
it is only appropriate that I tell you:
Lemony Snicket rules. At the moment I am so engaged
in audio tapes of his series--read by Tim Curry
nonetheless.
Why is this appropriate?
Because exactly one year ago today
I began this blog with dear dear Lemony.

Sundays. Blessed Sundays.
The one day I don't teach.

4 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Fred said...

You? Flippant? Nah, I've never seen it. :)

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Happy Blog Anniversary.
Only a fool would misinterpret the word dork as name calling.
If someone called me a dork I would only thing of it as a sign that they felt comfortable with me.
I think your writing group is lucky to have you.
And I feel lucky to call you a friend..

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Flippant? YOU?

Yeah it's true. I'd call it "wry humor", but "flippant" fits too.

It's that dark sense of humor peeking through. It's not a bad thing.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Writing group, cool! I hope yours lasts longer than mine did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home