SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Snaking along route 50 in the dark
sipping on stale coffee
pin pricking headlights slither down
the hill that lifts in front of me--
two by two in the rain
they top the black horizon
and beam back to my retinas
like torch bearers in a tiki ritual
on their way to work, I can only suppose.

Between classes, between buildings,
I follow a wet brick path, clickity-clack,
in shoes two sizes too large,
mother's dress-up heels with a feather pink boa.
And I stare.
Another hill, more faces.
On cell phones, under hoodies, puffing smoke.
I see them meet, exchange greetings, hold finger tips and part.
Some faces smile in secret ways
and I catch the beams from their eyes
like fertility.

7 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Maybe the smiling faces are thinking about your boa, ha,ha..

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

For some reason I misread the first line as "Snarking along route 50 in the dark"

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Tim P. said...

smiles are fertile.

I likes.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger dot said...

very nice.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Love the tiki ritual reference....:)

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Amy said...

secret ways.. ah... heavy sigh. and etc.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

New Post! New Post! New Post!

I need my SQ fix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home