SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Did I Skip Yesterday?

I think I did.
2005 has sucked in so many ways--
I'll be glad to be rid of it.
And on to the future!

I'm reading Toni Morrison's _Beloved_
at top notch speed--it took me 9 hours yesterday
just to outline the first half of the book
and write out questions.
I'm finished with _Awakening_ and _Warrior_.
Think I should write a paper.
And be a famous scholar.

Too bad my discipline ran out so early.

Orientation today at one of the branches.
I'd go if I weren't such a recluse.
I mean, what would I say to all the stiffs?
Better to not say anything at all.
I've got a decent shell,
let them think what they will.
I've been out of town . . .

My research on wikipedia continues.

I'd contribute if I wasn't such
a lazy b*stard.
And I am--a b*stard that is.

My parents met in 19**--just
11 months before I was born.
My father had a broken leg
and was renting an apartment close to my mother.

He was married with three children.
Did she know? Care?
He had recently asked an acquaintance
for a pistol, so he could kill them all.
Yeah.
His young wife had apparently stepped out on him.

My father was so smug this year--having all his
children at home for Christmas.
All except my 2 half-brothers and older sister.

They, being my parents, never married until 19**--
I was almost a year old. A b*stard, my friends.

I told all of this to the Maytag guy
yesterday when he came over to give us an estimate
and saw the stove--he smiled, "who got mad?
you or him?"
(not that we are staying here--I've told you that
--six months tops).
We talked for about an hour.
Nice guy. Tatoo of a cross on his right pinky.
Probably a couple years out of prison.

He's got three children
by three different women
and wants his oldest, at 15, not to get pregnant,
but to go to college.

He didn't stay long after he learned that I taught
(although, I must say that I am low key,
almost to the point of embarassment); I didn't tell him what
since he was having trouble spelling
and writing down directions. After that he dropped his pen alot.

I'd teach _Bastard Out of North Carolina_,
but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

15 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Hope 2006 is better!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Yup, the future is usually better. It'll be over soon...

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

New years are always better. Until they become the current year anyways..

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

Heh, I know lots of Bastards Out of North Carolina... ;)

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I'm glad Dorothy Allison knew where to start... powerful book.

Ever read Mary Karr's The Liar's Club?
(What about Darcey Steinke?)

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger sumo said...

Not to worry about your birth...it matters not. What matters...is that you are the Squirrley One. So your beginning wasn't what you would call traditional or even conventional... what is all the fuss about anyway? The end result is the same...a person. We aren't labels...we're all too human. Some are more human than others...as G Bush has proven.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

I honestly thought North Carolina was known for it's bastard population....sad story, but oh so hilarious in many ways.........
I'm sorry to say, I can relate to some of it.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy! I've actually taught _Liar's Club_. My young, privileged women hated it--wanted to know why I always picked the most depressing . . . disturbing . . . books.

What a sheltered population I teach. I mean, really. Pampered to the extreme.

Lil: That's actually my goal for WS200--teach them to laugh at sadness and pain (self--not other's!).

And thanks Sumo--it doesn't really affect me too much or too often.

BTW--I feel soooo sick today guys . . . hope I don't pass this to you!

SQMojo

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

One outstanding event in 2005:
SquirrleyMojo left the first ever comment on my first ever blog post. Thanks SQMojo.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Phil said...

I'm looking forward to 2006 too.
May it ROCK.
My Dad was a bastard, not popular in 1918 at all...

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Wishing you a very Happy New Years..

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

I [Heart] you Swampy--I really do!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Sort of makes you want to pass out coloring books and a big jack-o-lantern full of crayons and say, “amuse yourselves.”

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger sumo said...

Wishing a Happy New Year to you O Squirrley One. I'm spending my evening writing to all the lucky bastards that are my favorites in their comments. My dog is with me sharing a blueberry bagel (excellent) with some whippy thingy dingy called cream cheese. Yummers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home