SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Thursday, February 23, 2006

SQ: Full Monty

Yesterday in my WS200 class,
as we discussed Toni Morrison's _Beloved_,
one woman toward the back of the class
kept staring at me.

And staring.

Like she was finally figuring me out. An odd
mosiac she had almost piece together:

"Can I ask you a personal question?"
She blurted into our discussion of Morrison's narrator.

"How do you feel about premarital sex?
I mean, didn't you get pregnant as a teen?"

My eyes bugged. "Let's see how we can tie
that question into the relationship between
Sethe and her mother in the book, shall we?"

I used those moments as prep time for addressing the class.
As "honestly" as I felt I could.
Suddenly, and quite smashingly, several
of my identities collided. The intersection
filled with a mix of panic and the hope of release.

*
I survived.
*

That day. Today? Chinese with a couple
of collegues; suddenly,I'm the one to blurt,
"You'll never
guess what a student asked me yesterday--"
and out with the whole story.
My secret identity of 4 years at this U--
exposed.
AGAIN.

Now? I can just puke. WTF?
How and why am I loosing control of my own story?
Is it self-mutilation or self-recovery?

I left immediately after my last class today,
didn't cancel office hours or say
a word to a single soul. I need a plane ticket.

Yeah, I know, this post will be my THIRD
revelation (if only partial in my feeble attempts
to be oh-so ambivalent).

Am I expecting different reactions???
Because, hello, only awkward silence follows.
I only hurt myself when I tell (no one really gives
a fly after the first hour,
but self-image sure does change).

Za-zing! Gasp! I think I just grabbed at something:
maybe I see my unusal tale (with its bizzare twists)
as a COMMODITY. I mean, I plan/hope to make art of it
someday--why tell all the secrets, now? to those who haven't
"paid" (either through friendship, love, etc.) so-to-speak?
Maybe the secrets are all I have to negotiate with?


Hey, maybe I don't want this to make much sense.

3 Comments:

At 2:23 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Like our genes, we don't own our stories - even if we copyright them and everything.

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Unfortunately.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Tim P. said...

I think those things that touch us that deeply have their intensity due to the fact that they affect the way we look at ourselves, rather than how much they affect the way others look at us. When we overcome those identity checks is when they turn into a commodity--it's a capitolization on pain.

You ought to know that I am going through a similar process at the moment, a reevaluation of who I am, and my description above isn't some bullshit theorem I read about in a book, it's my own attempt to figure the process out in my own existential dilemma.

I hope I survive too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home