SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, May 14, 2007

Some Student Asks to Practice the Piano in the Music Room Where I Would Soon Teach

I at the dry erase, he at the grand.
I didn't know the chords, but the melody was deep.

Not 18 inches away, he struck the keys
and my lungs felt hollow, my bones solid enough.

I smeared the outline, the rubric, the expectations
onto the board;
he soon dribbled into a playful tune. Fleeting scales.

The brief intersection had passed
and he left.

5 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

1) more please

2) you'll teach music?

3) do you play an instrument?

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

No, I'm teaching composition in the music room.

If I did, it'd be the viola or percussions.

You?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

That post was a tease, just like those musical notes.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Thelonius said...

Well, all freshman composition aspires to the condition of music. Or is that art? I can never remember.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

I don't play any instruments, but I'm interested by the hammered dulcimer (like Lisa Gerrard plays)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home