SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Ghosts or Old Friends?

Paula, Lillee, and now Ehum?
Um, someone ought to offer a link, if not an explanation . . . !

Meanwhile,
let me tell you about my big yellow maxi--
as if showing it to the class yesterday
wasn't enough.

It's that time in the quarter where we talk
about menstruation as taboo, as contamination, as waste, etc.

This Saturday class is all about denial, luv 'em.
"Periods aren't taboo! Look at all the tampon
commercials thrown in our faces!"

"Would any of you share you were on your period
now [in mixed company]?"

[Several hands go up--women say the same thing]:
"I would if I was--"

Conveniently, I reach into carry all and pull out
a nice bright yellow maxi.

The room collapses in silence.

[What on earth do they think I will do with it??]

"Did anyone see me duck out of here a few minutes ago
when I set you to work in small groups? No?
Did anyone see me reach into my bag, [I demonstrate]
fold the maxi into four quarters, slide in into my hip pocket?
Now why would I do that??"

One young woman: "Well, guys are grossed out about it--"

And the real conversation begins.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, my colleagues continue to publish.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who had astered the slide.....this post is so funny. Lillee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home