SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Pedagogy

Yikes--my own philosophy is kicking my *ss. I believe that the learning falls almost completely on the teacher; she is the one who must motivate the student to learn, supply enough information to the student, and ask enough engaging questions that lead to critical thinking.

Bottom Line: Grades this quarter are low. I firmly believe that correlates to my presentation of my expectations. If I make my expectations clear enough, the students will follow through. Now, sometimes I don't want to make my expectations perfectly clear--I hate hoops, so why would I want to be the creator of hoops? Instead, I would rather encourage students to be thinkers on their own . . . However, I must find a mediation space between the general direction I'd like my students to take . . . am I communicating "the point" of each class?

aiya. I'm even more uneasy writing this blog. voicing these insecurities.

2 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bullfrog! In secondary education or elementary i'll give you that but when a student reaches collegiate studies IT'S ON THEM! A quarter or a semesters is insufficient time to motivate an alcoholically challenge 18 to 22 year old who's emitting hormones like a Glad plug in! The professors only responsability there is the accurate presentation of the material and a fair and balanced disciplinarian system that gives correct feedback for effort and learning.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Hello dear. I thought you weren't going to read/post on my blog? What gives?

"Zipperweld" is pretty snappy . . . but like I wouldn't know it was you?? It's been 9 years--

 

Post a Comment

<< Home