SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Kindergarten Scene

I imagine that somewhere
out there
is a kick *ss Kindergarten teacher who
would do absolute circles around me.

I imagine she would have her group of 5 & 6
year olds reading before Christmas--she'd
have them writing out 3--count them--3 sentences
in their daily journals.
And as the year progressed, their "kid" writing
would look more and more like my own.

Math and acience would be an adventure.

She would be the type to allow her
students to stand, walk, and talk during lessons.
She would treat every child as an equal.

I imagine that on Kindergarten Celebration Night,
just two days before kids let out of school,
she would not only have her own celebration back in
her wonder land classroom,
but she would also put together a PowerPoint
presentation of the children's school year set
against a great sound track.

There would be tears.

And, if I could ever witness such an event,
I would begin to wonder all over again
what real teaching is about.

4 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Rainypete said...

And to go with this mythical teacher are the classroom full of children taht were raised properly and behave long enough to actually accomplish this. Just like life itself, You do what you can with what you get handed. Each class will have a few disappointments bu thidden among them is the occasional gem and that can make it all worthwhile.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Somewhere there is a kick *ass teacher wishing she was as good as you!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Tee said...

and then there is the child, who is struggling with life at home, and the playground, and their refuge is that classroom, where a kick@ss teacher makes a difference, and is remembered forever...

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a new teacher (among other things) who in her third year of teaching had a crisis: What am I teaching? Books? People don't want to learn about books. It doesn't make any money.

But I keep at it because I honestly believe that without the poets, and the words, and the books, our world would be chaos. More than it is now.

But I constantly question if I'm good at what I do: I know so many others are better at it than me. It's good to question. So that we don't become stagnant and encourage the chaos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home