SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Giant Lily Pads

The lily pads in South America,
specifically the Amazonian rainforest basin,
can reach up to 7 ft in diameter.

I've seen a picture of a young child
laying comfortably in the center of one.

The Iguazu Falls are actually located in
Argentina, rather than Brazil--geez.

And only two countries in South America
lack a shore line: Bolivia and Paraguay.

Sigh. A round trip ticket from [here]
to Brazilla is around $1800.oo--can you imagine the expense
for a group of, say, 5 or 6?

The Amazon runs west to east,
from the Andes in Peru to the Atlantic Ocean.

Why is it in my mind that a trip down the Amazon
on a lily pad would be comparable
to a ride down Canoochee Creek [read relaxing water park ride]
on an inner tube
with a fruity mixed drink in hand?
Somehow I really don't think such a journey
would be quite comparable.
But it may make for an interesting novel . . .

6 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Tee said...

did you ever see that medicine man film, with sean connery? yesh? - remember the part where he tells the lady about the little fish who swim up inside you, while she's taking a bath? that is how i picture the amazon...

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'd LOVE to take an adventure like that (well, except for the little fish that swim up inside you thing...ugh).

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger swamp4me said...

Hehe...I've been reading my son's parasitology text -- have absolutely NO desire to go to South America at the moment...

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who studied in South America, hiking through rainforests and learning about plants. She swam in the Amazon--the trick to no fish swimming up inside of you is to not pee in the Amazon (or outside of it into it either--they can swim up that too). Too much information? I apologize. (sorry for embarrassing you, squirrley)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I like your take on the Amazon better than the commentors take on it..

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Brazil looks beautiful.

I think if I were floating down the Amazon, I'd be too worried about all the creeping, crawling swimming, swarming critters to relax and enjoy it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home