SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, August 29, 2005

"The superdome is not in any dangerous situation," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said.

Sometimes I fantasize
that I am Wolfman Jack--

broadcasting to you
on pirate air waves--

exposing The Man.

But I know that's not true
because I am not hairy--
in fact, I especially love
my body today. I look/feel fabulous.
We should all love our bodies today.

The Man I wish to expose this morning?
CNN [no surprise here]
for its unabashedly flamboyant
sensationalism of Loisiana's plight:
KATRINA MAY BE 'OUR ASIAN TSUNAMI' [website headline].

Do I even have to elaborate on how absurd
this headline is? How 'hopeful' it sounds?

This headline seems to be based off from
the single statement of some Ivor van Heerden,
director of the Louisiana State University
Public Health Research Center in Baton Rouge:

"We need to recognize we may be about to experience
our equivalent of the Asian tsunami,
in terms of the damage and the numbers
of people that can be killed."

Maybe I'm stupid,
but I just can't comprehend a comparison.

Further, I hope/trust that Mr. Heerden
will be proven horribly wrong,
that today isn't _The Day After Tomorrow_ &
that CNN will be, uh, made to pay for all of the storm's
damage to thousand's of private homes in
Loisiana and Mississippi.

10 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger katie said...

I saw this headline and was do pissed. Sensationalism at it's worst.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

I saw a Discovery Channel program a few months back -

It described the New Orleans area as a disaster waiting to happen, because it was below sea level and was basically a big bowl waiting to get filled up by storm surge or a tidal wave.

Maybe that's what CNN meant, but I have to agree their choice of words is awful.

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right there with ya, SQ and SQs blogger friends.

I talked to a friend who is in med. school at Tulane. He was driving to SC for a rotation--so leaving the area anyway--but he said so matter-of-factly, "I hope my house is there when I get back." Then again, he also brought all of his valuable things with him: photographs, computer; his girlfriend drove his cats (and herself) to safety in Houston, TX.

How can one compare New Orleans with the tsunami? When they had warning to evacuate? Means to save themselves? Not to mention, means to save their "valuables?"

Yes, New Orleans is more susceptable than most because it is below sea-level, but....

Disgusting, CNN, disgusting.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For whatever it's worth, this vice-ridden ( ;-P @ Mojo ) fruit agrees with y'all.

For what it's worth, it looks like CNN.com changed their headline.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Litany said...

Yes! One blog CAN make a difference!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

Bloggers should report the news, not CNN.

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love It! pet boarding insurance

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I'm sure it won't be anything like the tsunami. Sheesh.
And it better not be a "Day After Tomorrow" thing either. In that movie no Canadians escaped..

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Rainypete said...

The media, while crying pity for all those poor folk, secretly rub their hands together with glee. There's nothing they'd like more than a high body count and lots of destruction. This would give them something to analyze for week and weeks.

I think that when the next hurricane is lined up they should make all the reporters stand out in the winds like the handful of fools that already do. Thin their ranks a bit, bloody parasites.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I like your blog, you can visit my web page if you like.business home idea woman workhttp://www.moneywebpage.combusiness home idea woman work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home