SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Venus May be Enough to Think About

I don't want a 10th planet!
And especially another moon--
geez, our culture is saturated with enough planets.

And one groom this weekend
thinks all planets revolve around him.
He's getting married--so what? Yes, and he's the last.
Good. I'm burned out.
Even if I did get gold slippers with tassles.

I am, however, interested in multiple dimensions:
did you listen to Ira Whom-Ever on Science Friday, NPR?

He had a guest speaker who specializes
in Quantum Physics and has a new, "accessible" book out
detailing our latest quest to understand the universe
through, um, particle perspectives, I think.

After a short break, all Ira had left to say was to comment
on the speaker's looks, her appearance, specifically
her likeness to "Jodi Foster."

Instead of String Theory,
he actually said he wanted to talk about
"string bikinis."
I sh*t you not--a direct quote.
Look it up.

I physically jerked--almost vomited in the seat next to me.
I have never screamed so loudly at my radio
from inside my car while driving in four lane construction--in fact,
I almost swerved off the freeway,
into a ditch.

Which is right where that type of hype
and thinking is trying to keep women,
particularly in Science--in a ditch.

Luckily, the speaker was smooth
and deflected Ira Dumb-Ass with poise and ease.

Yet, if we can't handle seeing Venus
from different points of view,
how can we hope to learn anything from a 10th planet?

4 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

October 2005 NetNews
Resources for Utah Educators Welcome to October. It's Cyber Security Awareness Month and a great time to browse the new Utah Educators Resource Guide with dozens of videos, broadcasts and online sites all tied ...
Your buddy Jim.

##keyword##

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Is nothing sacred?

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

The thing that frustrates me most is, I can't tell if the poetic nature of your posts is intentional, or if your a damned aggravating natural genius.

:::grrrrrr:::

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Psst - there are more than 10 planets... It depends on what we decide to classify as a "planet".

Pluto really isn't one... Nor is the 'new' body.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home