SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Day Four: Silence

Dinner was spent in silence.
I feel my resistance weakening.

A strong part of me just wants to tackle him.
Snuggle.
Feel comforted.

But I certainly don't want our relationship
to back to "normal" . . .
after ten years, I'm afraid normalcy
would be oh too easy to slip into.

No. I want real solutions this time.
And I must be patient.

If we had children,
I believe they would be oblivious.
Perhaps Twin B would bring home school portraits
about this time of year.
I would hold his 1st grade picture
up to his K picture in the hall
and marvel at how much he has changed in a simple year.

I believe my partner would join me.

We'd look at the pictures,
then I would walk off.
For the first in our relationship,
I believe he would walk through the hall,
look wistfully and dust the frames.

In silence.

For the first time in my life, I believe
I am communicating more with silence
than I ever have with words.

I believe that if we were silent,
our attention would be devoted more to our children
and our home would be happier.

And if this were true,
I may never want to break the silence.

Is it true that women _do_ have more power in silence?
Do people listen more when she isn't saying anything?

4 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

I've done the silent treatment thing. It's more stressful than speaking, even yelling out words. In age, it's not silence anymore, it's pouting. And problems don't get better with kids, they get worse and kids become bargaining chips. If it's really that bad, it's time to get out and find someone else. If it can be solved...what are ya waiting for? An apology?? I wouldn't continue to hold your breath...men suck at those things

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

This is not a "silent treament thing"--I don't think.

Much weirder than that.

Perhaps a strange attempt at regaining control and respect for eachother . . .

It's a "listening" thing.

We've been talking and talking and talking, rationally, for years. This is something different . . .

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger kimmyk said...

having children doesn't make it easier to go through the routine of your daily living. much harder like lillee said.
i for one hate the silence-i'd rather hear the yelling actually because in some way that's communicating. silence gets ya no where because eventually it's all going to be said outloud. prolonging the inevitable. the longer the silence-the bigger the problems become.....it just begins to snowball out of control...until there's nothing left to be said but goodbye.
i wouldn't let that happen...unless you think there's nothing to be said for what you have....

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Phil said...

You're right, listening is harder to do, especailly for guys, we always want to fix things. I try to listen more

 

Post a Comment

<< Home