SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Last Minute Pleas

My state U has lowered
admission standards
utill they accept ACT scores >17.

I have very mixed feelings about this.

Not that people are stupid/smart/ect.,
but I do think these score correlate to WORK ETHIC.
Hurray for finally opening the gate,
boo for taking these student's $$$ and not preparing
them for university work.

Here are some notes today from my email:

Sorry I did not have my paper up by 10. I thought you were having meetings
for two hours today but I guess I was wrong. I turned in both things to
your office. I hope this will not hurt my grade at all because my grade is
already not that great. Sorry again.



I am sorry that i am just now writing you an e-mail. Last Monday I severely
injured my back, pulling several muscles across my lower back and many along
my spine. i have been in bed for the past week, i have been to the hospital
and the best they could do was drug me up so i could at least sleep. I have
not been able to sit up to write to you. i am aware of what is due, and what i
owe you. I will have everything typed and crisp in a folder and marked. I was
hoping that I could turn that into youi on thursday along it the #2 formal
paper and the research paper. I need some time to type, i can't sit at a
computer for long periods of time. Thank you, and if you need proof of my
injury i can try and also give you copies of my hopital visit.

[From a young woman who had a poor attendence record all quarter and below standard work.]

So, I started thinking--have I gotten emails like this in the past? Have students slacked off as much in previous quarters?

No ... and I became depressed
at the beginning of the search.

To be sure, I began this quarter by asking
what's up with this new group of freshmen
BEFORE I found out about the scores.

I have, maybe, 10 people failing this quarter.
Outrageous.
And failing a student is against my grain--utterly.
But, if they absolutely do not turn in any work--what can I do?
I cannot ethically pass them.

9 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

Flunk them...do you want one of them to be your doctor, lawyer, kid's teacher, PRESIDENT someday?

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Flunk them. They can still become President..

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger swamp4me said...

My own biological children pointed out what should have been obvious to me when I was teaching and lamenting about having to fail students after having given them every chance to pass:
"Ma, you're not failing them, they are failing themselves."
That state was so true on many, many levels...

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

You know, I felt this way too. Until I met them & grew to like them--to empathize perhaps too much.

Not that I'm here to put those thoughts into action, it's not so easy . . .

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Hmn. I would be tempted to view whiny letters full of excuses as an unassigned extra-credit assignment.

As such, if I were (somehow) flunking your class, I would turn in an excuse letter where I described at length how I was kidnapped by a time-traveling Susan B. Anthony and worked for months in the 1850's furthering the cause of Women's Suffrage.

I didn't turn in my report because I'm suffering from time-lag.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Waddie G. said...

It seems like your school is all about the $$$

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Squirrley everything you say hits home. Especially as the semester winds down (very jealous you're already on your break - we have 2 days til Tksgvg week and after that break we have another 2 weeks of school) and I look forward to all the pre-finals whining... great comment from swamp4me about the SS failing themselves - I'll have to remember that!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Standards?! we don't need no stinkin standards!!!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger sumo said...

They need to learn responsibility... for some reason kids these days probably couldn't even spell it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home