SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, February 26, 2006

People Gotta Know

I just went to Urgent Care friday night (2 hours) for an earache I've had for a few days. The diagnosis? Eustacian Tube disfunction. The cure? Chew some gum and hope it "pops." grrrrr. Also, take sinus allergy over-the-counter meds to help with the stuffiness.

The really weird part? I had to ask this doctor to look down my throat! She did, in passing, and said it looked fine. When she left, I took the instrument, stretched it's little cord thingy over to the mirror and looked myself:

I HAVE A HOLE INSIDE MY THROAT!

On the left side, the ear that is hurting, the eustacian tube is so swollen that I can see the opening! I didn't even know there was an actual opening in the back of the throat! My other hole remains nicely invisible. WTF? Couldn't she see the HOLE?! Or did she not want to admit that she forgot to look in my fricken throat?!

Meanwhile, I'm so drowsy on this anti-drowsy sinus/allergy medication--it's the d*mn chalk, I tell you--that I can barely grade.

Do you have a hole in the back of your throat? If so, is it exposed?
What to do?

What if hot coffee/tea goes up it?

9 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

A few days ago I had a friend at work tell me she had an earache Her mother advised her to pee in a cup and then pour the warm pee into her ear.
However, if you have a hole in your head connecting your ears to your throat, you might not want to try that.
Maybe it's a gill and you are really a fish and not a Squirrel.

Take care O Fishy One.
Ha.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Hope you feel better soon.

I don't even think I have Eustacian Tubes. Might be what my problem is...

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Put some super glue in your coffee. That'll fix the hole. :)

Hope you're doing better.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger kazumi said...

Does this mean you can drink through your ear?

Apparently if you don't feel better you can have this treated with antibiotics (like amoxcillin), nasal sprays, decongestants and/or antihistamines. Ah, nothing like some good ol' online self diagnosis.

Also hope you're feeling better.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

You know, I noticed the last time I went to the doctor because I was sick, he never even touched me! No looking in my ears, up my nose or down my throat...nothing! What happened to doctors to make them like this???

And I believe you saw that hole. I once got an ear infection from snot, believe it or not. I'd had a cold and was constantly blowing my nose....a day or two later, I developed and earache. I went to the doctor and he said that, if you blow your nose too hard, you can actually force snot into your ear (because your sinuses and ears and throat are all connected). Crazy but true.

And probably WAY more info. than you wanted.

Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger PBS said...

Humans have some weird connections (like milk coming out of a kid's nose when they laugh). Poor little babies scream when they have an earache because it's so painful. Hope your earache is better, they're no fun at all.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Just pray that a little Dutch boy doesn't come by I guess...

Hope you feel better soon -
Amy

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

What's this posting once a week stuff? Why do I pay a monthly subscription for this blog? Why?

 
At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very informative blog. I found everything I needed here. Great content! commercial ionic air purifier

 

Post a Comment

<< Home