SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Burnt Bridges & Spell Check

So, here at work I can use SpellChecker b/c the pop-ups are not disabled.
Funny, the word "blog" shows as error on Blogger's SpellCheck . . .

Yes, I am typing here at work w/o much concern. I figure I'm on the out right now as it is. Being sick in this profession certainly has it's downs. Even though I followed all protocol, I still catch weird vibes at work--not sure if I am overly sensitive, but one gets the feeling of being continually "frowned" upon for a canceled class. Instructors are above illness?

For example, many students didn't show up for class today--"I'm sick" or "Didn't feel like it." Had one woman challenge me: "What if I get sick before Thursday's exam?" My colleagues are sympathetic, mostly. Some will seem snide when they say, "Yeah, I think I had that too. I took some cough syrup . . ." And discuss how they continued to plow ahead.

When I was getting my MA, I did that. Fevers and all. Once, I ran off the road in a snow storm, just to get to class.

But now, d*mnit, if I'm sick, I want to stay in bed and sleep it off. I like my body--it serves me well. Why torture it? Yet, I sure would like to avoid the damage "calling in" does to my ethos/credibility. Or perceived damage. All the snide remarks and eye rolling upon return to work . . .

3 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Funny how people always perceive anyones illness but there own as fake.

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger sumo said...

They shouldn't worry about it as long as you don't do it weekly. Then I'd be suspicious.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger kazumi said...

My old boss could always be heard saying, "I don't need martyrs so go/stay home and sleep" whenever any of us became ill. I wasn't used to it at first, but it certainly makes sense so I agree with you. It's sensible to rest, stay balanced and recover quickly than to push your body to exhaustion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home