SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, June 06, 2005

The Veggies of War

I have a friend who insists that
her children must eat all of their veggies
before they leave the table;
the fuuny thing is,
these veggies are almost always canned.

Are canned veggies nutritionally worth the trouble?

My street sounds like a war zone this morning:
choopers flying over head,
police and EMT sirens blaring across the way,
and a humongeous street cleener right outside the door . . .

wait. I bet the people of Iraq *wish* they had
a street cleaner & co. Perhaps "war zone" isn't the proper metaphor.

4 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Rainypete said...

I would imagine if there were Iraqi Street cleaning trucks they would be vary heavily armored. These would acutally be the appropriate vehicle from which to try and begin a canned veggie assault on the kids. ou could remain safely contained while calling for help.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I don't think they're as good as fresh but they have to contain some nutritional value, right? Or have I been choking down all that spinach all these years for NOTHING???? Damn!

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that boiling veggies takes all of the nutritional value out of them. But canned vegetables? I'm stumped. All of my education and I'm stumped. I buy fresh. Or frozen. Hmmmm. Now I'm going to have to walk over to the grocery store and actually look at a can of vegetables.

We had a baby-sitter who would make me sit at the table until all of my macaroni and cheese was gone. Because I was a stubborn child (and so not stubborn any more ;)), I would sit. And sit. It got cold. I hated it.

But now I like cold macaroni. Hmmmm.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all honesty, if it is not corn on the cob, or grilled asparagus, or steamed broccoli--and I mean steamed, not that microwave junk--or that really yummy Indian spinich dish whose name I always forget, despite the fact that it's my favorite and I'd kill for it.... if it's none of those, why are you eating it anyway? It don't taste good.

Well... ok. Carrots, onions, bell peppers, a liiiitle bit 'o celery, some lettuce (not iceberg), the occasional radish, cucumbers...

Holy crap. Do I LIKE vegetables? When did that happen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home