SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Monday, June 27, 2005

Where the Wild Things Smell

An older couple walked along the beach
the last day we were there
and carried two dead dog sharks
for small children to look at and touch.

The smell was horrendous.

I don't understand why they approached me.
I wouldn't go near anything that smelled like that.
When I was quite younger,
among my first trips to the coast,
a friend and I hoarded a small cashe of seashells.
It was Spring and the perfect season
for shelling.
I found a star fish washed up among the shells.

I took this star fish back to my room,
rinsed it, left it in the sink,
and then went out to eat.

The smell, upon my return, was horrendous x2.

In Huxley's _Brave New World_ smells (aromas in this case)
are paramount.
Luxurious.
Do pleasant aromas distract us from the smells of death??
I want to be bathed in some new scent--

5 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

My friends little daughter had collected a cup full of hermit crabs she took from the beach and somehow smuggled them into her moms trunk. Well, needless to say, mom didn't know about them....until they rotted. You want to talk about smell??? Ugh!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I don't understand the facination with smelly stuff that some people seem to have..

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

Ahhh..Brave New World. I read that in High school. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU...anyway.

I have a story for you. Over the weekend, a child from our church drowned in a pool. When her parents, found her, she was not breathing and her jaw was clamped shut so hard, they could not get her mouth open to do CPR. Not knowing what else to do, besides call the paramedics, they knelt down beside and called out to the spirits of death to leave her body and when they did...her eyes popped open.
Now, this wasn't a simple quiet cry, it was more like wailing, with unwavering belief that God would wake her...and He did.

we all die...but sometimes, for some people, there is second chances.

Strange, huh?

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Speaking of the smell of death, I had a bright idea to leave my wet gym clothes in vaccuum bags for a week, and let me tell you, whew!

The smell washed out though, thank goodness.

Also, in the book Freakonomics, it details the statistics that it's safer to let your kid play at the neighbor's house where a handgun is stored than the neighbor's house with a pool. Crazy.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

MC Etcher, I don´t wash my boyfriend´s training clothes every day after practise, that would only be waste of water and electricity. :) So he puts the clothes in his bag. And I wash them every Friday. :D

I have to wash his training clothes separated from mine (not my training clothes) because, phrankly, sometimes the smell is so terrible that I convince myself that my clothes start to smell too. And the temperature has to be higher than when washing "normal clothes"... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home