SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Friday, November 04, 2005

Who knew?

So I attended the WS100 meeting
with a bunch of PhDs and I discovered
they didn't know "what in the h*ll" I was talking about.
In fact, the woman arranging the meeting put my ideas
in quotations instead of paraphrasing.
How embarrassing.

Derrida? Western system of binaries?
Hierarchal value in language?

I was incredulous. Stunned.
Confused.
Amused.
Light-headed.
Proud.
Eager.
Aggressive.
Inquisitive.

then . . . afterward . . .

doubtful.
insecure.
regretful.
stupid.
ashamed.
hopeless.

Just as I'm about to QUIT teaching on campus,
I find out that I am seriously right on target with my ideas.
LOUD. Oppinionated. Naive. Idealistic. Energetic.

But seriously, my collegues don't think in terms of "theory"--
and I don't know how they live without it. Unimaginable.

A couple laughed at the idea of teaching theory on a 100--
"Imagine your evaluations plummmeting."
Ha Ha. Snarf Snarf.

My evals have always been fine (excellent in some classes).
But this quarter?
They may be low because I SUCK, not b/c the students
aren't bright enough to get it . . .

Ummmmm . . . do my collegues "get it"?
I'm sure they must, but to what extent
if they do not find it life-changing/reaffirming?

5 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

"...quit teaching on campus?"

What's all that about?

Clearly you're smarter than the lot of them, and there's no way you can leave.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

P.S. If you give me admin access to your blog, I'll be happy to delete any and all Spam comments.

For free!

I'm nice like that.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

what's wrong with a little spam now and then? these people have gotta make a buck too no doubt . . .

this spam material is hot topic i tell you

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

give MC control?!?

i'd be squirrleynuts i tell ya

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

LOL!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home