SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Occasionally Moments of Lucidity Wash Over Me Quite Unexpectedly

An Afternoon Walk

They were watching.
That day the buses did have eyes;
I wasn't imagining.

Pencil orange, pencil yellow
all angled parked
under the oaks.

I walked five steps ahead,
trying to pretend they weren't mine.

Until he caught up with me,
grabbed my upper arm:

"Too good to walk with us?"

I never saw his face,
but I knew the grin,
false grin,
squinting around the eyes,
not looking at me,
but looking around for other adults.
Speaking from clenched teeth.

I looked to the buses;
saw only blank shadow windows.
But I knew they were watching.
The knot hot in my throat.

Miriam the next day: Was that your dad?
Miriam ten years later: We thought he worked thirds.

3 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

hmph!

:::arms folded in pea-green jealousy:::

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Amy said...

watching yes... but seeing too - strange a distinction... same as listening/hearing - maybe. i hate it when they "see" what they aren't supposed to.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

Very ominous. Would this be an introduction to your father?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home